I now love drinking green smoothies every day. I whip them up in my Ninja blender and I am in love! It is fast and powerful for smoothies that are, well…smooth.
Tricking picky kids into drinking their greens
Want your kids to sip their greens, too? Believe it or not, the greens actually don’t taste very strong at all. You just have to hide them for skeptical sippers.
Dark berries like blueberries and blackberries!
They totally mask the green.
Also try adding banana, peanut butter, chocolate almond milk or flavored protein powder. All add nutrition while making the smoothie sweeter. The chocolate milk also masks the green.
Tips for the best green smoothies:
Here are a few things I’ve figured out about making green smoothies:
- Blend your greens and liquid first. Then add fruits and ice.
- Change up your greens. I’ve been alternating between spinach and kale in my smoothies. If you get the balance right, you can’t even recognize the veggie taste. It does make it taste clean and fresh, though. And YUMMY.
- Skip the ice and go with frozen fruit.
- If it doesn’t taste right or the texture is off, throw it back in the blender! Add some more liquid and blend again if it’s too think or gritty. Toss in some more fruit it it isn’t sweet enough and reblend. You can’t mess it up. Just tweak it until you get it right.
- Smoothies are most appealing when sipped through a straw.>
- One cup greens, one cup liquid and two cups fruit seems to be a great ratio for a large serving (or two regular servings).
Click here to get my 5 favorite green smoothie recipes!