This blog contains affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission from your purchases.
I am not one of those ladies who can’t leave the house without a full face of makeup and elaborate hairstyle. In fact, I’m feeling good if I’m wearing undergarments on most outings! Once in a while, I find myself in a situation where I wish I would have taken the time to dress better, though.
I’ve put together a little kit of items that can quickly help me feel a bit more put together. I keep these things in my purse or car to help me become an instant fashionista.
- Gum. I admit it, I occasionally run out without remembering to brush my teeth. I keep gum in both my car and purse for anytime my breath needs a boost of freshness.
- Deodorant. It’s hot in Florida! It’s easy to get sticky, sweaty and stinky!I learned the hard way to keep this in my purse after a tube of solid deodorant turned to molten liquid in my car.
- Lip gloss, mascara and moisturizer. The moisturizer takes care of dry, dull skin. Mascara makes me look more awake and the glass adds a bit of color. I once ducked into the bathroom at the coffee shop to apply a bit of makeup after seeing someone I went to high school with in line looking like a supermodel on a Saturday morning.
- Sparkly hair accessories. I have short hair that is easy to finger comb. A cute barrette or headband can make my hair look like I actually put effort into it (even though I didn’t). I even borrow my daughter’s headband with the faux peacock feathers attached to it. I actually get a lot of compliments on it!
- Silver ballet flats. I live in flip flops, but I keep these in the car for when my bare feet seem under-dressed. Silver is more special than boring black flats, but still goes with everything. My sweats even look a little more formal with metallic ballet slippers.
- A gray belted cardigan. Sometimes I leave it open, but having the option to close it is great when I realize my t-shirt has jelly stains on it from my daughter hugging me at breakfast. I love wearing the cardigan with yoga pants after hitting the gym.
- Ornate brooches. I keep a couple of large, fancy brooches in my purse. They add interest to any outfit. My favorite pin is a big, bejeweled fly that belonged to my grandmother. When people are focused on that, they don’t notice the rest of me is a mess!
If I’m feeling self-conscious, I simply need to excuse myself to my car or the bathroom for a couple of quick improvements. It’s amazing what a shiny pin, cute shoes and a little lip gloss can accomplish! Now, if only I could find the motivation to put that time into getting ready before I leave the house! What are your secrets to looking pulled together in a jiffy?